Menu

Join Discord Server 0 MEMBERS ONLINE
play.beanblockz.com 0 PLAYERS ONLINE

Survival Classic Poll

Survival Classic Economy?

• No, I'd like to keep the economy completely vanilla without any way of making money.

Votes: 81 45.5%
  • Yes, I'd like to have some form of economy with very limited means of making money.

Votes: 97 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaDuckie

Community Manager
Community Manager
MamaDuckie
MamaDuckie
Hey all!

I'm back with another poll for Survival! This time it's specified to Survival Classic! Classic - if you don't know is our new Survival Gamemode which leans more towards a vanilla style of play with limited plugins. So here's the question:

Should we keep Survival Classic completely vanilla in terms of economy or should we still keep basic economy things and add a way to sell very limited items to the shop to make money?
Please comment below with your views on the poll!

Reminder that this poll is not to discuss the dislike of Survival Classic and the merge of the old Survival servers - causing issues over this can result in your comment being removed and a warning issued to your forums account. Any votes with alts will not be counted at the end of the poll. If you don't have anything to say that has to do with the poll itself, please refrain from commenting so that we can view things more clearly. All questions about the poll are welcome.

-Danielle

ashley

I think it really depends on what would be used to make money for the limited economy. If it were something like hostile and friendly mob drops or iron, people have already started gathering spawners and changing them to different mobs so I feel like it would just turn into another grinder situation which is one of the main reasons that people are playing classic from what I've seen.

If it were something like selling a few different blocks such as wood, cobble and dirt or something that wouldn't be possible through mob grinders for money, I feel like everyone will just become consumed with who can make the most money again and plus players are already beginning to use iron, gold and diamonds as a form of currency like we used to do so I personally think it'd be fine to shut it off.

People do use mob spawners for shop items and for xp as well as they've spent a lot of time searching for them so I don't think disabling them completely would be the answer. I think disabling the ability to mine/pick up and change spawners would be a great idea & if there was a way to make it so spawners besides natural ones like cave spider, spider, skeleton, zombie, silverfish and blazes wouldn't work.

Last edited:

shiv

Popular Member
I don't think we should have money or kits. It beats the idea of what "classic" survival is. We shouldn't be trying to gain money from buying and selling the best items that the game has to offer, then it'd become some sort of auction. It's a little too easy to get items when everyone has a kit right off the bat to get items, making a way to get to the end easier. There will only be limited items there since it's 25k x 25k. Players may or may not have the option to start player shops, most likely selling their items at high prices to become the richest person on the server. Having limited items because of the world borders will already affect the economy on the server if there was some sort of way to bring money onto the server.

The idea of a shop where everyone can buy blocks and items also beats the idea of a classic survival. It won't be as popular as custom survival, but I'd still like it to remain a server where people can just relax and play normal survival without the benefit of in-game perks. Now I know that kits, fly, and money is a way to get money, but sometimes you just want to chill on an SMP without having to pay for a realm or a server, you know?

I kind of like the idea of how the economy can run off of diamonds and ores instead of money. If it was some regular unmodded SMP, that's what people would do. Staring shops and selling their items by the worth of the ores, making fun shopping centers of all of their items, etc. I think it would remain more fun if we kept the server as-is with no economy. I also think we should remove kits from the game.

The only downside to not having /shop is that we do have limited items on the game. Since there isn't a lot of people that will be playing on survival classic (because the prefer the economy on survival custom) that probably wouldn't be too much of a problem. With /shop and player shops, I feel it is a little too easy to get blocks and items that aren't that easy to get in the game. Once again, defeats the purpose of survival. If it were a normal singleplayer world, you'd have to do all of that stuff on your own even if you did struggle.

(posted before i finished, oops so gonna do a few edits)

Basically, the gist of the game is to get very good items and get to the end. You can get to the end way faster now than you would be able to in an unmodded survival or smp. To me, even without an economy, it doesn't seem like classic survival to me. But I feel that added an economy would make it even less like "classic" survival. i feel like the struggle of dying and not being able to get your items is fun. Dying and spawning back at your bed. Creating houses and stuff without /fly or OP tools to begin with. I just like the idea of chilling with classic, vanilla survival

Lachlan0100

Newcomer
Ashley and Shiv, I understand your guy's points. however I feel like adding money system would give the server more life, people enjoy earning money, getting on baltop and being able to buy blocks and whatnot for building. However, with this being said, I dislike the idea of being able to buy and sell stuff like iron and actual resources. I would think of the shop is a way to dispose of useless blocks and materials you gather throughout the game, cobble, dirt, and other none afkable items. this means we could make something like farming and mining actual ways of making money, this would feel way more vanilla than the current methods of making money on the regular survival.

you would still have a vanilla experience as going and killing things like the wither and whatnot would be extremely rewarding. nether stars would be priceless towards the start of the server. also, think about how much items like name tags and saddles would be. sure you could sell them for like 2 stacks of diamonds(for example) but what can you do with diamonds? like you guys said, kits are giving us those items anyway.

just my opinion guys, but I truly believe there is a place for this in the vanilla, it just needs to be tweaked so that it rewards you for actually playing the game(not afking).

ashley

Ashley and Shiv, I understand your guy's points. however I feel like adding money system would give the server more life, people enjoy earning money, getting on baltop and being able to buy blocks and whatnot for building. However, with this being said, I dislike the idea of being able to buy and sell stuff like iron and actual resources. I would think of the shop is a way to dispose of useless blocks and materials you gather throughout the game, cobble, dirt, and other none afkable items. this means we could make something like farming and mining actual ways of making money, this would feel way more vanilla than the current methods of making money on the regular survival.

you would still have a vanilla experience as going and killing things like the wither and whatnot would be extremely rewarding. nether stars would be priceless towards the start of the server. also, think about how much items like name tags and saddles would be. sure you could sell them for like 2 stacks of diamonds(for example) but what can you do with diamonds? like you guys said, kits are giving us those items anyway.

just my opinion guys, but I truly believe there is a place for this in the vanilla, it just needs to be tweaked so that it rewards you for actually playing the game(not afking).
The point of the classic server though isn't to get on baltop, isn't to purchase items from the shop and for things to be so easily done cause it's boring tbh. It's to work for what you get, gather supplies on your own and have a more authentic survival experience.

Lachlan0100

Newcomer
and the point is to have /fly and fairly op kits? i just think that the shop would pull the very tedious sections out of the game? not devalue materials earned as most won't have any direct shop value and even be sellable on the shop. this would cause a player run economy...

shiv

Popular Member
and the point is to have /fly and fairly op kits?
I think if people wanted to have /fly and OP kits they could go to the custom survival. Classic survival should be more a chill gamemode where players can earn their items and resources instead of getting money and buying them all. The economy system could run off of those ores and resources instead of something that isn't in vanilla Minecraft.

ashley

and the point is to have /fly and fairly op kits? i just think that the shop would pull the very tedious sections out of the game? not devalue materials earned as most won't have any direct shop value and even be sellable on the shop. this would cause a player run economy...
Fly and kits were paid for with irl money though but I do think having Prot III diamond armor right off the bat is completely unneeded and although I love my /fly for building, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it were removed. Before money was introduced to the survival gamemode, it was a player run economy and to be honest, it was a lot more fun. Players made their own shops & actually got creative with it, too .. and everyone sold things to each other using gold, iron, diamonds and other rare items & tbh there was never an issue. With a 50k x 50k border (I believe), it'll be a long while before we run out of things.

ChickenzAreKewl

Yeah, it's a good idea, but what will we do with the money? Auction, lottery, or just buying off of people via trade? I do think we should have an economy, but what will that do to benefit us?

Lachlan0100

Newcomer
are titans able to pick up spawners and change them in this new survival classic? if so, surely any iron would be worthless when it comes to resource trading?

I see what you guys are saying, in fact, I used to play back in 2015 with several friends when there was this whole mineral based trading with iron, gold, and diamonds, it was very enjoyable indeed. but currently, on day 2, the classic server is 1/3rd of the other server's population. this isn't a problem currently because that still means there are around 40 people on the vanilla server(as of writing this). but what about the future? after the hype? but what do you do once you have stacks upon stacks of diamonds iron and gold? at least with money, you could buy some basic materials to build villages and whatever people want to build which would take ages to gather? I'm talking being able to buy a few stacks of wood for several thousands of dollars, not a nether star for $1250. this would be a convenient sake, not a way to get everything in survival without effort? surely there is a middle ground for this suggestion?

i'm not claiming to have the answers, just what myself and a few friends have in mind for the future of this vanilla server..

Last edited:

Target

I have an idea, per say.

What if you established a form of... block/gem currency? Make an item only collectible by finding chests in the overworld or mining ores.

This currency could be given/found by opening chests or mining ores. It could be a droppable item or just given. The whole point is it is earned by playing. I was contemplating making it so it’s money earned per hour on the server, but that could be abused by afk unless an afk timer was implemented. I think it’d be really nice to add a small way to earn money that is not grindable.

Usually, on small survival multiplayer servers I play, we just use emeralds and diamonds as a common currency, but with the commands /fly and /kit and /rip this still isn’t completely classic and I don’t think a diamond based currency would fly.

I think some economy would be cool.

Lachlan0100

Newcomer
I have an idea, per say.

What if you established a form of... block/gem currency? Make an item only collectible by finding chests in the overworld or mining ores.

This currency could be given/found by opening chests or mining ores. It could be a droppable item or just given. The whole point is it is earned by playing. I was contemplating making it so it’s money earned per hour on the server, but that could be abused by afk unless an afk timer was implemented. I think it’d be really nice to add a small way to earn money that is not grindable.

Usually, on small survival multiplayer servers I play, we just use emeralds and diamonds as a common currency, but with the commands /fly and /kit and /rip this still isn’t completely classic and I don’t think a diamond based currency would fly.

not a bad idea at all.

ashley

I have an idea, per say.

I agree. I think a small, very limited way to earn money that people can't grind would be fine to have.

Lachlan0100

Newcomer
I agree. I think a small, very limited way to earn money that people can't grind would be fine to have.
That's what I've been getting at. diamonds have barely any inherent value as kits devalue any sort of gear. with something like this, everyone could find a use for them.

Target

I also agree with shiv on removing kits. On an smp I’m currently playing, it took us about a week to get to the end. Someone got there like under 3 hours it came out.

Lachlan0100

Newcomer
With something like a shop, this currency would have a "sink" per se, meaning horrific inflation wouldn't happen. resulting in a healthy economic system.

Status
Not open for further replies.